WE ARE HIRING
In December 2018, Shakespeare in Action will become a resident theatre company at the new Artscape Weston Common in Toronto’s northwest community. The company is thrilled to be entering such a pivotal year, as we become one of the few professional performing arts organizations in this community, and as we strive to grow theatre and theatre education in Weston and surrounding communities.
With the support from the Ontario Trillium Foundation, Shakespeare in Action seeks to hire a Community Outreach Coordinator for a one-year contract. The successful candidate will be responsible for spearheading community outreach activities (for youth, adults, and seniors in northwest Toronto), building and tracking community relationships (with local schools, businesses, and organizations), and overseeing a research study that looks at the market for theatre and theatre education programs in northwest Toronto.
The Community Outreach Coordinator will report to the Artistic Director and Director of Education.
We also encourage applications from qualified individuals passionate about this position, who may not be able to commit to the full contract.
Identify new, and manage existing, relationships/partnerships and outreach activities with stakeholders
- Meet with new and existing community partners, and document conversations as it relates to the want / need for theatre and theatre programs
- Create or oversee creation of promotional material (online newsletter, brochures)
- Distribute outreach materials
- Track community attendance that comes as a direct result of outreach efforts, and follow up with participating members
- Act as an ambassador for Shakespeare in Action in northwest Toronto
- Answer questions about Shakespeare in Action to community organizations, local businesses and event audiences
- Promote events and programs to community groups, schools, community residents etc.
- Participate in advisory meetings with community groups,
- Organize and facilitate post-show and post-event talk-backs and discussions
- Organize and set up three pilot performing arts programs targeting youth, adults, and seniors, to be hosted at our new studio
- Oversee contracting of artists to run outreach programs
- Manage bookings for pilot programs and provide follow-up
- Ensure appropriate paperwork is completed on site
- Follow up with participants, by evaluating their experiences at pilot programs
- Meet with, and follow up with teachers and principals about SIA programs
- Oversee a pilot “Teaching Performance Learning Network” offering theatre programs and teacher training to neighbourhood schools
- Book local schools to mainstage shows and with workshop opportunities
- The ideal candidate is an outgoing community leader, with a passion for arts education, community outreach, and Shakespeare
- The candidate forges genuine relationships and has a sincere interest in listening to what community members want from theatre related programs
- The candidate will have participated in community events, has community programming and/ education programming experience
- High level of initiative and ability to self-manage.
- Respect for diverse individuals and communities.
- Ability to establish effective and strong working relationships and trust with co-workers, community partners and volunteers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Sound judgment, analytical and problem-solving abilities, and organizational skills
- Ability to translate data and insight into actionable suggestions for SIA’s future programs in the community
- Flexibility regarding work hours is a requirement. Some working hours will take place on evenings and weekends.
- Experience inputting data in a CRM software (asset)
- Experience in or relationship with Weston, or northwest Toronto communities (asset)
- Experience in respectful practices for recording data and documenting conversations
- Successful candidates will be asked to supply Shakespeare in Action with a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check prior to a contract being issued. This will be coordinated through Shakespeare in Action
Shakespeare in Action is dedicated to making Shakespeare fun and accessible across age, income, and cultural background. We are committed to maintaining a team that represents the diversity of our city, and the rich diversity of northwest Toronto, and we encourage applications from anyone and everyone with a passion for arts education and Shakespeare.
How to Apply:
Please submit one pdf that includes a cover letter and resume, including two references to email@example.com, with the subject line “Community Outreach Coordinator” by Sunday October 28th, 2018.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date with the latest job offers and opportunities.